Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 13: Taupo to Turangi

Distance: 50.5k
Distance so far: 787.8k
Speed: 18.4k/h

Runkeeper log: 1

Today was a fairly easy ride from the town of Taupo, at the north end of Lake Taupo, to Turangi, located at the south end - a distance of about 50km. There was only one hill worthy of the name, a somewhat infamous one amongst people who cycle around Taupo, but not that bad when it doesn't come at the end of a long day. The rest of the day was pleasantly flat, though with plenty of bends to keep me on my toes.


The weather continues to be ominous and threatening, but it didn't start raining until well after I arrived at Turangi. The forecast does not bode well for my next few days ride, however.

Tomorrow I'm continuing on through the Whanganui ranges to the tiny town of Raetihi. It's going to be a hard day - 85k and over 1000 meters of climb. Beyond that, I have even more climbing to look forward to the day after, as well as 40km on a gravel road. In return, though, I can expect some pretty awesome views. I'm hoping against hope that the weather is better than the forecast - rain on top of it would make it pretty unbearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment